CO-LAM-BA! I have an important announcement everyone! There is such a thing as coconut lime berry cake and it exists on this sweet sweet earth! Alexis and I have re-named this magical dessert as co-lam-ba, we shall leave the spelling up to you.
Yields 12-14 servings
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons lime juice
3 cups raspberries and blueberries (or any fruit of your choosing!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup sugar on high until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.
3. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and beat until combined. Stir in lime zest and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Pour batter into dish. Smooth top with a rubber spatula.
4. In a medium bowl, toss together 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, berries, and 3 tablespoons of lime juice. Scatter berry mixture over batter. Bake cake for 35-40 minutes, or until cake is golden at edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.
“Once in a young lifetime one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one can possibly want and hold.” ~Judith Olney